Friday, April 08, 2022

The Swing Thing



Well, it's been a week of not sewing because of the ultimate give-a-mouse-a-cookie situation. I recently started making outdoor cushions as you'll recall. I finished my mom's (yay!) And I just received the fabric for the cushions I'm making for the  porch swing in the picture above. That's where this starts with the swing. The swing needs to be repainted, specifically with spray paint, which means it has to come off the deck. And that's a big deal, a bunch of stuff has to be moved out of the way. More importantly, the deck itself really needs to be stripped and re-stained/re-sealed. It needed it last year and probably the year before. And the weather was forecasted to be over 90F on Thursday which meant the wood would dry in time to be re-stained on the weekend. All of these things added up to a Whole Thing.
So, after reading my DH in on my give-a-mouse-a-cookie thinking, and securing his promise to do the deck staining work on the weekend, I moved everything off the deck myself. Whew! Everything except for two very heavy planters. My son helped me with those two.

Then when the sun was beaming down and heating everything up on Thursday, I plugged my AirPods in my ears, turned on some podcasts and used the pressure washer. It went pretty quickly, but boy are my arms tired. At one point I was holding an umbrella for shade in one hand and the pressure washer in the other hand. Quite the workout. But Julie's Deck Services are now closed for the year. And we have way too many pots of plants. 

All of which I, of course, have to move back onto the re-stained deck next week before the neighborhood deer gang catches on and they help themselves to a driveway buffet.

There are some spots that still need to be sanded, but otherwise, it's ready to be stained tomorrow. 

And I got the swing painted too. That was the main thing after all, I really miss sitting on this swing, it's going to be really nice to have it back again. And I'll have avoided having to throw the old one out yet (at least for a few more years).

2 comments:

Jaye said...

"Julie's deck services" and "driveway buffet": you are hilarious!!! I mean the terms are very evocative and add humor to a task that was a lot of work.

This is the situation I am facing with my bedroom. If I get a new mattress, should I paint first? buy a new headboard and footboard? etc etc.

Good job on all that work. I think a hot bath might do you some good. Rest!!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It was a lot of work, but worth it. I had a hot bath with Epsom salts and felt miles better, gmta! I'm resting today while Marc is out there staining. Yes, you should paint when you have the chance, because it's so much work to move everything again. Ooojh a new headboard and footboard, sounds very well looking into.