Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Choosing Orange

Proceeding along cutting out 10" squares for the Orange Bullseye Project. I laid them all out to take a picture and realized I hadn't followed one of our main rules for fabric choices: No prints with lots of white. Whoops! They really do jump out at you and take over in this sort of project. 

Also, that print on the lower right is not brown, it's a dark bricky orange, with also too much white, so it's out of there. And the stripe-y batik is out too. I'm so so on the floral with the dark centers for now they stay in.
Those got pulled out, and now it's a lot better. I cut a second piece out of all the fabrics that had enough left. It turns out I have a lot of oranges, but I've been using them (see Safe At Home) lately, so they're in bits and pieces and not in sizes that I am able to cut a 10" square out of.

 Found a few more fabrics that worked, I'm liking the variety of dark medium and light. But now I'm noticing in this picture, wow, do a couple of them ever look yellow. In person it looks fine though, definitely on the more yellow side of yellow-orange, but not this yellow. I think this goes back to the age-old problem with cameras having trouble translating the red that is in anything correctly as far as our eyesight goes, it never matches. 

Still not enough, not even close to have enough for 48 squares, so I'm going shopping!

3 comments:

Jaye said...

WOW!! Your oranges look so different from mine. I think there is maybe one overlap or two. I don't have many of those darker oranges. Mine are mostly sunshiney and tending towards yellow. I had to throw some out that were too yellow. So fun to see your choices. Some of mine are really OLD fabrics. Good use them.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I think it's going to be fascinating, just like the other times we've done this kind of project, to see what we all come up with. I can't wait to see these "old" fabrics, I'm glad that you finally got a chance to use them.

Jaye said...

I might have too much white in some of my fabrics. I have some with big (I dumped the huge dots) white dots. Maybe I need to take more photos and get your opinion? They weren't too white for me...., but were definitely not tone-on-tones