Friday, April 15, 2022

3-D Warm Up



My DH has issues with the skin on his hands and sometimes he really needs to warm them up, and now that I'm starting to get arthritis in a few of my fingers, I need a hand warm up thing too. I tried making fleece mittens with microwaveable rice bags inside of them a while ago, but they turned out to be way too small for either of us. The height and width were fine, but I didn't add in any space for depth. I don't have completely flat hands and neither does my DH. Memo to me to remember: we're actually 3-D.

I uncovered my first attempts at these warm-up mittens down in the bottom of my scrap basket of all places (?!) so I knew I needed to quickly whip up a much bigger version. The main issue besides the depth issue was the physical space right at the "cuff" so I added no taper at all for the wrist in the paper pattern I drew.
I cut out two pairs of fleece pieces and set the flannel rice bags on top. Then my work progress had to be inspected. I think the rice bags probably smelled interesting to Leeloo.

I cut out a piece of flannel to make a pocket for the rice bags and stitched it down to one each of the pairs. They get heated in the microwave for under 2 minutes so as not to scorch the rice.
Sewed around the edges and tah-dah, comfort and warmth! And lots of spaaaace.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

These are such a great idea! I haven't seen such an item before. I think you'll have to create and sell a pattern!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I might have to work on the detail a little more, these are pretty rough. But they'd probably be a hit with quilters/crafters with arthritis or other hand issues.