Wednesday, April 13, 2022

The Great Sort


The project of putting away the teetering washed fabric stack so that I have room to quilt has turned into a whole thing. Of course it has. Because I was unearthing layer after layer, kind of like combing through the geomorphic strata of the past few years. 

Oh hey, there's all of the fabric that I bought via the subscription box Culcita. (rip) I really liked the fabric four years ago as it arrived in their cute little boxes (and still quite like most of it) but I never used any of it. None. It's now sorted into its very own container now. In theory, the groups of fabrics are an easy starter for a quilt. Now that I've looked at it all again, maybe I'll actually use some of it. Don't laugh, it might happen.

More details on storage decisions made during The Great Sort:

  • Another part of the stack was a huge amount of yarn-dyed plaids and shot cottons, mostly Kaffe Fasset I think. Those are in their own box now because they require special handling.
  • There was also a lot of solids in there, which I have now put into all the color cubby boxes. 
  • I found a big assortment of ruler, number, letters, and words fabrics which are now in their own box.
  • I'm not sure why, but I've got all of my Tula Pink fabric in one box. They seem special somehow so they get to be separate.
  • And I made a box for Carolyn Friedlander and Marcia Derse fabric to live in. They're very different designers of course, but the amount of fabric for a separate box worked out.

And I'm done! With that clear open space next to my sewing machine, I can quilt some of those bigger quilts.

Goodness me oh my do I ever have a lot of fabric. This is something I knew of course, but handling so much of a chunk of it as I was sorting it out and putting it away was really hitting me differently. I mean...am I really a fabric hoarder? Verging on I'd say, but at least self-aware.

No comments: