Saturday, January 29, 2022

Orange You Glad?

 

So, uh...yes, I'm still trying to get started on making a Prism Play quilt for the SAQA show. I made a design months ago for the three colors I'd wanted to do but then I dropped the ball on actually making the actual quilts. And now the deadline approaches! 

I'm starting out on making my number one choice which was ORANGE. This is the pull of fabrics I'm working with along with the Joen Wolfrom color card. The rules are only tones and tints, not allowed to use any pure black or white. So it's a whole range isn't it?

This flower from the current bunch on our kitchen counter would probably make the cut. Why am I so lucky to have a DH who buys me flowers?
Here's how the colors look without the white distraction of the color card on top. Quite different to my eye. Thus the rules of not using black or white! There's a range of fabrics in there from a loosely woven cotton/linen hand-dye, commercial printed, batik, various weights of solids and one with gold woven checks.
And so it begins...I drew the design right on the batting and cut the fabric pieces to fit the spaces. I have another in process picture of how it turned out once I got all the pieces sewn on. But I have to look at the show rules to see if I can show it to you or not. Some of the shows have prohibitions of in-process pictures.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

Interesting concept, but also a useful exercise. I am so glad you are entering shows again. Yay!!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I'm inching back into it. I hope to see this exhibit in person, it's going to be like being in the middle of rainbow.