Sunday, January 16, 2022

Heavy Metal Sewing


After receiving some great new Sew-tites from friend Jaye for Christmas, I decided it was finally time to make myself a Hold-Tite folio, using the pattern designed by Lilyella. It's a fairly simple pattern, and it was very fun choosing the fabrics to use for the various pieces. As you can see, I put a stripe of black/white polka dots across the front just because.


Time to insert the two sheet metal pieces which the pattern is designed around. They fit perfectly and leave plenty of room to sew around them without hitting them with the sewing machine needle (pshew!)


Here's how the inside of the folio looks so far, showing the vertical stitches that makes the folding part. I can't decide whether to use the purple felt or an orange one that I also have. But that's the very last step, I have to get the outer edge binding stitched on first.
 

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Good to know there is plenty of space for sewing. I keep breaking needles switching between the zigzag and straight stitch. Sigh. It does force me to change needles, which I guess is a good thing.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Yes, there was plenty of room to stitch. Every time I changed the side I was sewing, I made sure to nudge over the metal plate as much as possible. The zigzag to straight stitch thing is a tough one, my new machine warns me which is nice. I used to put a piece of painter's tape over the zig-zag controller whenever I'd put a straight stitch foot on to remind myself.