Thursday, January 27, 2022

Doors Unopened

 

This quilt is finally on its way to Texas to meet up with the others made for the Stretching Art & Tradition 2022 exhibit. 
The theme this year is "When One Door Closes". 
All the quilts are 24"w x 36"h, a very manageable size and great dimensions to work with.
The first exhibition will be at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in February.

 I titled this piece: Doors Unopened and my artist statement is as follows: 
There are some doors that we don't ever open, for a whole lot of reasons. Sometimes it's a conscious choice, sometimes it's not. There are doors that represent roads not taken or denied. And there are some that we were wise not to spend a lot of time worrying about passing through. 

The main design inspiration came from some of the lyrics of the Rolling Stones' song, Paint It Black, which just happened to come up on a playlist as I was sketching out design ideas. Meant to be, I guess? 

I see a red door and I want it painted black

No colors anymore I want them to turn black.
No more will my green sea
Go turn a deeper blue

2 comments:

Jaye said...

You are really on fire! I love that you are getting pieces out into the world. Thanks for sharing your inspiration and mapping your inspiration to the elements of the piece.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks for the cheerleading, I appreciate it.