Thursday, January 31, 2019

Color Picking and Good Fortune


Here's an amazing color picking app, Color Supply, it's intended for use in choosing color schemes for digital illustrations, so it gives the hex values for the main colors. But I thought it was a great all-on-one-screen tool for looking at color choices. You can scroll through complementary, analogous, etc... and change the colors in each setup.

I thought it might be a good resource for quilters. There's a little essay/explainer on the site about why to choose warm vs. cool colors for branding a website/product and it made me think about that in terms of "branding" the quilts we're making. If you're looking to make a happy quilt choose this: X, if you're wanting a somber quilt choose this: X instead, etc. Color tells a story, evokes emotions, etc.

Hey, is there a hex value to kona cottons (or other fabric line's solids) chart somewhere?

I used this tool to help me pick fabrics to use in the Good Fortune mystery quilt.

Pics of those choices tomorrow...

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Great tool! I'll have to try it out a little more.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It's a little different from the other other online tools, I liked the tonal toggles toward the right side of the side of the screen.