Monday, January 14, 2019

Echo Block

To get ready to actually show up to a SBAMQG meeting, I decided to jump in and participate in the 'block of the every other month block' lottery. They post the color scheme and block instructions, so it was easy to figure out. There were several color combinations to choose from, I pulled these fabrics from my stash.
The Echo block is paper-pieced, designed by member Karen Foster.  I printed it out, and luckily remembered to measure it before preceding, and it was off by a lot. It turns out my printer settings were scaling or something, so I reprinted the actual size and it was all good. Always good to remember to check before sewing.

I used paper for sewing the first block and then remembered I had printable interfacing for paper-piecing applications, and the rest of the blocks were done on that. Much nicer to stitch on, not as slippery under the machine needle. I hadn't done any paper-piecing in quite a while, so I was glad it came back to me easily.

I ended up making six blocks, but unfortunately didn't win them, it was fun to see how they all looked on the design wall at the meeting. Everyone's were all so different but they looked great together.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I don't think I know about interfacing for paper piecing. Do you buy it on a bolt or does it come in a package? Is it the Carol Doak branded 'paper'?

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It's actually the Plum Easy Printable Interfacing Sheets, I think my LQS had a package of them and I was really pleased with how well they went through my printer and my sewing machine.