Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Undercover Maker Mat


Thanks to the urging of friend Jaye, I recently used this tutorial and made an Undercover Maker Mat.
 Here's an in-process shot, where the pocket border is ready to bind and stitch. I had a lot of fun making the selvedge pockets, there are so many interesting selvedges out there these days. I created some "found poetry" out of the words, kind of an inside-joke for myself.

The hand in this palmistry print really called to me when I saw it in the store. It was the fabric I used as my "focus fabric" believe it or not.
There's one other part to this pattern which is a small thread catcher/waste bin that attaches to the far right pocket. I'm not sure I'd like it, because of where my knee lift lever goes. But maybe I'll make it to keep on the table next to me.

I didn't take a picture of the reverse side, but it is the thistle print, with side ties made from the orange binding print. I really like having this on my machine in my studio and I'm looking forward to trying it out at a retreat or class.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I am really glad you are game when I have strange ideas. I am also happy that this mat is working out for you. Excellent point on the knee lift!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It wasn't that strange of an idea though, I mean it made sense to me! And yeah, still haven't worked out the knee lift thing exactly.