Thursday, August 11, 2022

Energizing Orange

Here's the first go at putting all the finished orange bullseye blocks up on the design wall. This first picture is a random pull and placement, except for not having matching backgrounds next to one another. It's a pretty good random distribution of tints, tones and shades of all that glorious orange. Walking into my workroom is Very Energizing now, orange really is a powerful color.

You might have noticed the empty spot in the lower left corner. That's because one of our swap group made a few extra blocks. So, instead of 48,  and a 6 blocks by 8 arrangement, instead we nearly have a square of 7x7 aka 49. I will likely make another 1/4 bock to fill in the space.

But then I started in on playing around with the blocks, putting all the blocks with lots of white in the background in the right hand column, and mostly darks along the bottom and left hand side. There was one block that just really stood out as not an orange background to my eye. It was majority pink and the first circle was magenta which blended in too much, so it looked like a blob of Pink in a sea of orange. 

So now it's decision time, I either have to make two replacement 1/4 blocks to fill in, which is no big deal really as I'm sitting in a room filled with fabric options, or to take away two more 1/4 blocks and have a 6 block by 8 arrangement. 

But I think I'm liking the non-circular arrangement of the 1/4 blocks. Most of the bullseye quilts I've made have ended up going that direction. It's pretty hard to look at the design with those white squares jumping out though, isn't it? That's a thought, to put in something super contrasty instead of more 1/4 bullseye blocks. 
 

No comments: