Sunday, August 14, 2022

New And Improved

 

I finally got a chance to check out the new space that Golden State Quilting is occupying, I consider this one of my LQS, as it's the closest to me when I "go over the hill" instead of down towards Santa Cruz. It's a much bigger space, and well-divided. Best of all, they really have a great selection of fabrics and notions and it's not as cramped to look at all the choices. There's a good space for a display of quilts above all the racks and shelves of fabrics. The store is set on a corner, so there are a whole lot more windows and it's nice and bright in there which was great as I was trying to color-match the light blue for the last bit of "sky" I needed for the Japanese Houses quilt. I could just go over to a sunny spot and hold the bolt up to the swatch I brought with me.  

The only thing I don't like, is the long-arm set up right in the store because when it's going on automatic, it is very rackety and loud. When I first went into the shop, I had one of my AirPods in, listening to a podcast, so I didn't notice it as much. But once friend Jaye showed up and we wanted to chat about the fabrics as we looked around, it was quite noticeable and not in a good way. At one point the thing stopped, probably for a thread color change and it was a relief. I get that they need to have it near where the people running the shop can monitor the progress of the auto quilting, but probably it doesn't bother too many people. If I had been on my own I probably would have stuck the other AirPod in and just blocked it out, (thank you noise canceling).

So what did I buy? Another Quilter's Select ruler, this time in a 6 x 12" size, these things really do not slip, totally worth the extra price in my opinion. Some of the grey and light blue Painter's Palette Solids that I needed to finish up the Japanese Houses, 5 fat quarters (two Tula Pink, 2 great polka dots, 1 weird yellow), and some of this lovely printed canvas/linen for a tote bag of some sort to be determined in the future.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I agree about the noise. I went to a shop in Vancouver, WA and they had divided the longarm space with walls and doors and you couldn't hear the THREE longarms in that room at all. I also know they have to monitor, but I hope they can get some space for the machine where the noise doesn't pervade the entire space.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I guess it's all about the square footage of the shop space, which isn't cheap in the Bay Area of course. They could put the long arm in the end of the classroom area to have it away from the fabric shopping area, but then the classes wouldn't be able to hear the teacher. Three long arms going would be very loud, I can't imagine trying to concentrate or enjoy shopping around that noise level.