Saturday, August 13, 2022

Boo/Yay

 

Disclaimer: I acknowledge that this is the very definition of a first world problem sort of post.

When my FitBit Versa 2 screen did this, I knew it was probably a goner. I tried the FitBit tech support chat, but they had nothing to even try besides turning it on and off again. They very very quickly got off the chat and offered me a %off coupon. It was only two years old, and I'd had zero problems with it at all. It always held a charge for nearly a week, it always synced with the app, etc. I was pretty pleased with it and wore it just about every single day. Mostly I use it to keep track of how active I am, to tell me if I'm overdoing it or not. With the condition that I have, it is very easy to overdo and then I'm down for the count for several days. Using the FitBit has helped me to be much more aware of it and manage it better for myself.

The funny thing was that I had no idea how often I used it as an Actual Watch to tell me the Actual Time until the screen stopped working. It was surprising to find that out. I kept wearing it and keeping it charged, it kept updating to the app, I just couldn't use any of the functions on it since the screen didn't work at all, unless you're really into staticky looking test pattern lines. It wasn't useless, just not usable.

I was tempted to give in and just get an Apple Watch, now that I had gotten used to wearing a "smart" watch, but I was not wanting to give up on the FitBit platform quite yet as I have one of those syncing scale thingies that still works. I decided to utilize my %off coupon and buy one of the new versions. This is the Versa 3, it is a slightly different shape, much more rounded at the corners and the watch band is different. I thought I wouldn't like the feel of it, but it turns out that it's perfectly fine. And I can tell the time again. 

As you can see, this one lets you put one of your photos as your background to the main screen. I've got my three amigos on there to keep me motivated. The new versions also give you information on your heart like AFIB alerts as well as alerts when your stability is questionable. Both are things that I'm concerned about.

Over the years, I think I've had something like five FitBits of various types, shapes and sizes. They've been a good tool and I like having the data on myself. It helps me explain myself to myself if that makes sense. 

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I have thought about upgrading to a smartWatch, but have never taken the plunge. Since I got my first FitBit, I have had 4 (5?). I also like knowing how active I am. Glad the new one works for you.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It's more of a toy or fun gadget to me, I don't use a lot of the "smart" functions. If you're out and about a lot or not working from home, it might make sense for you to get one next time.