Tuesday, December 08, 2020

New Machine Day



It came! It really came! The sewing machine my DH surprised me with for my birthday arrived yesterday. 
A few months ago, I had told him how it was surprising to see Janome machines for sale on the Costco website, and we looked at some of them together. But then I dropped the whole thing, because I don't really truly need a new machine, mine had been working just fine. So it was a very lovely surprise.

 It was honestly a little weird that we ended up buying this without me sewing on it at a dealer, but in these times of COVID, I really didn't want to travel long distances, and sit in an indoor location for an hour with a salesperson breathing over my shoulder. (Just my imagination there on that part). I figured if it didn't work or I hated it, I could just take it back the next time we venture out to Costco.


I got it all set up very quickly and I started in on sewing the current project (a table runner natch) It's so quiet and beautiful and powerful. You don't even need a presser foot, the glowing green button will start and stop sewing. Not sure I'll use that, but hey, if I have a foot issue, that's nice to know. 
There's a whole extra inch of sewing space, so I can't wait to try and sew a bigger quilt.
The lighting is so fabulous and bright! Hooray for LED's!  I can actually see what I'm doing without a bunch of extra desk lamps.
Really amazing to see just how things have changed in 15 years.


Here are the feet that it came with (not pictured is the enormous buttonhole foot). I was slightly disappointed to learn that the new machine is a 9mm shank so none of my old feet will fit. Specifically my 1/4" foot. But there's a programmed stitch for exactly 1/4". That'll have to do for now.


I tried out some of the decorative stitches on an old pillow case. This isn't done with the correct threads, but I love seeing how this looks. And these words aren't even using the alphabet section.


3 comments:

Jaye said...

I'm so pleased for you! You will put this to good use during the quarantine. Also, you will have the time to learn to use it. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks! I'm having fun learning all the new bells and whistles. Did some free motion quilting yesterday and it's so much smoother and easier, kind of amazing.

Jaye said...

It's probably ok that you didn't test it. I am sure that because you have had other Janomes in the same kind of range, this one will be easy to get used to.