Friday, December 11, 2020

New Free Motion

 

Trying out the new machine with some free-motion quilting. It's a whole different experience, it's so quiet! And so very very smooth. I really like the fmq foot that it came with. It has three feet that you can swap out.

I'm still getting used to the needle threader, but it works very well. When you get set up for free motion quilting, the recommended stitch plate is the single hole, and it's just the push of a button to switch. Wild, huh? And then the machine knows that you are no longer allowed to do anything other that a a straight stitch. No more smashing needles when I'd forget and do a zig zag, oof, I hated that. So it's nice to have a machine that has a better memory than I do.

I'm not sure what the white dots are, they aren't the bobbin thread or the batting, I think it's something to do with the way the fabric is printed. If I remember correctly, sometimes the griege goods for darker fabrics are dyed a dark color to start with or even woven with black thread from the get-go and then overprinted with a design. But in this case, I think it was just printed over a white background. In person it looks like salt crystals sprinkled on the surface, which will work well for a table runner, hah!


One side of the background done just like **that** (makes snapping noise)


2 comments:

Jaye said...

Great scribbly quilting design in the black. I don't notice those white speckles looking at the image.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Thanks, I had fun doing all the scribbling. Glad you don't notice the white speckles.