Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Cornucopia Finale of the Year

A final Cornucopia post for 2020. These are just a bunch of links that I've been perusing and obsessing over, and who knows...maybe you'll find something you haven't seen yet.

~.@.@.@.~

I'm not sure how to feel about this artist's works using pre-1900's antique quilts, it's very intriguing art and I think it says a whole lot about topics it is hard to make evocative art about without being too in your face. Many of the pieces are beautiful (mostly because of the quilts themselves) and it's interesting to see quilts used in such a different manner. As a quilter though, it is extremely hard to imagine myself cutting up antique quilts to make art with. I just don't think I could do it. 

~.@.@.@.~

This article about how to stop buying more and more *things* had made me re-think how I buy stuff to use in my quilting and artwork.

~.@.@.@.~

This ProPublica project analyzing county by county projected near-term climate change effects. Interesting way to approach the issue and visualize the data, very useful.

~.@.@.@.~

I really enjoyed this article about using discarded materials in your fiber artworks, great examples from five fiber artists, one of whom is here in the Bay Area and another fan of FabMo.

~.@.@.@.~

To start out 2021, how about a Doodle-a-Day challenge for January? ElloLovely is hosting it with Spoonflower. I've been doing more and more sketching on my iPad, so I'll try to dive in and post some sketches. 

~.@.@.@.~

There's a big year-end sale on classes over on Craftsy. I've just signed up for one and it was about 70% off.

~.@.@.@.~

I was just checking out Christa Walton's page of quilt-a-longs, there are a whole lot of cool ones on there, very tempting.

~.@.@.@.~

Friend Jaye pointed me to Wombat Quilt's great page of paper-pieced patterns, all free.

~.@.@.@.~

This jelly-roll friendly quilt looks like a good one to try, Sugar Bloom.

~.@.@.@.~

Memo to me, make this Can of Sardines ornament for DS Alex for Christmas next year. I saw the instructions a little too late to get going on it.

~.@.@.@.~

Seems like it might be time to try cutting out some stamps with my Cricut, maybe this blog post will help.

~.@.@.@.~

Another mask pattern to try out, this one comes in six graduated sizes.

~.@.@.@.~


2 comments:

Jaye said...

WOW! So many great links! I have to look at them all, I think.

I have read several NYT articles in the Arts section about artists using old quilts. I found the writing to be complete, but uninformed. There was no discussion in either of the two articles about which I am thinking about quiltmaking being an inherently female pursuit. There was also no discussion about the history being lost as the old quilts were destroyed to make new art. Obviously, I don't object to non-saveable quilts being reshaped into something new. I do object to quilts that may be important in women's history being destroyed.

Jaye said...

I have also been thinking about purchases since I read an article about how the US economy relies on consumerism for its heft. :( For reasons of my own, I have tried not to buy very much this year. I do make snips or take photos of something I want to buy. That is often enough. Similar to the interviewee's drawings. Also, I think there is an issue with shopping malls. This is a place where people go to spend time. What? We don't have a lot of other places for people to go to spend time. This is a whole issue with TV-hobbies-underfunding of places like parks, libraries and 'adult ed' classes that people could be doing rather than shopping. It kind of makes my head want to explode to think about. Thus, I came up with snips of things I might want to buy in the future -- after thinking about it for awhile.

I also find that I don't want to buy ephemeral things that come across the ocean. I can't always avoid that, but I try to buy local as much as possible. I wish websites had to indicate the origin of the item they are selling, especially Amazon.

This article also makes me think about my 100 yard goal. I am starting to see progress - a little more space, fewer large pieces available, etc. More to contemplate

~@@@~

I am seriously amazed at how many schnibbles I produce. Filling a 2 ft by 1.5 ft pet bed every other month with tiny scraps keeps them out of the landfill and it turns out to be A LOT of fabric when all crammed together. I am happy to recycle this way, but wish there was a way to do this with all fabrics. Of course, that is difficult because of all the plastic, finishes and other treatments on clothing fabrics. I just keep doing my part in this small way.


~@@@~

You can definitely start the sardines now and have it ready by December 2021!

~@@@~

Making gift tags would definitely be fabulous. As you know, I am a fan of gift bags, so you might have cut out stamps, stamp fabric and applique' them. ;-) Great blog post, though, and I found it interesting that products from different manufacturers were interchangeable.