Friday, July 04, 2008

Considering Liberty on the Fourth

These pictures are from Jerome, a mining town perched on the side of a mountain near Sedona where we were just on vacation. I was so happy to note that there were two flags in these photos. And then when I turned around I spotted this neat old building with one of my favorite words on it (but missing a probably lovely ornate eagle of some kind).

So, hey, Happy 4th of July!

Liberty. Freedom.
Since we'll be hearing these words a lot over this weekend in all the political speechifying and network talking head blathering, I thought I'd share a quote that I think is applicable right now for all of us in the USA today.
Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis said: "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

No comments: