Friday, January 06, 2023

Solid Choices

Post Pineapple Express Storm Report: Our power is still OUT, cell service is BACK, internet is still very miraculously ON. Our solar production is just barely powering the house, with a little trickle left over to recharge our nearly depleted backup batteries. So there'll be no sewing for me today unless the sun really really starts shining on this day in-between rain storms or that PG&E gets around to turning our power back on.

I've signed up to make the Temperature Quilt with JayBird Quilts over the next year. She had some recommended tools on the first class instructions, so I went ahead and got them. First is her new release of Fussy Cut Shapes templates. They have a nice see-through yet still dark 1/4" edge which helps to figure out your fussy cutting placements. I have found that I like fussy cutting (go figure, right?!) and I think these are really usable sizes that work well with her other rulers.

The second tool was one I haven't used before, it's the Clover Hold It Precision Stiletto,  It has a silicone tip which is grippy for guiding fabric through the machine. The silicones also heat resistant, so you can use it with your iron.
Instead of doing this quilt in all solids, I'm considering using hand-dyes and/or small prints in addition. These ones in the picture are the ones left over from making the Sightlines Triptych. The problem is having enough of one particular fabric to represent that particular temperature throughout the making of the whole quilt. Also, I really really like the look of the all-solids quilt.
Along with the tools, I (of course) bought some fabrics. It's always to not pay shipping, that always works on me.
I'm pretty excited about the Pantone Color of the Year for 2023, Viva Magenta. So I ordered some of the Kona solid color of the year, Crush, which is awfully close. Along with it, I chose a few other hot colors, for a quilt I want to make this year, potentially entitle Hot Hot Hot. My initial idea is to make two versions of the same block with each color, using the Crush as the foreground and the background. I'll have to plan that out in EQ8 I think.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

What about designating a color for the temperature, such as turquoise for 70 degrees, then you can use different fabrics in the same color. I think using your handdyes is a great idea. It would be a good use of them, but you might have to expand how you are thinking about selecting fabric.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

The colors assigned to temperatures is basically how it works, and yes I'm definitely thinking scrappy instead of all solids so I can incorporate my hand-dyes.