Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Encyclopedia Brown

 

I've almost bought the combination of BlockBase software and the third edition of  Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns from Electric Quilt so many times. Those email advertisements get to me eventually.  They had a big sale on the duo, so I went for it, downloaded the software and it's really great. Very much like EQ8 as far as the look and feel of it. So many blocks in there, 4,000+! 

My book arrived this week and wow is it ever heavy. It's basically all full-color images and printed on that heavier paper, very dense. It's not a hard cover, and was not very well packed for being such a heavy book as one of the corners of my copy is really smashed. Bummer for the price of this thing.

It might smooth out a bit once it's on the bookshelf. 
Hey! Electric Quilt, you need to put some corner protectors on this book when you ship it! Even those cardboard corner thingies would have worked.

A short overview, this isn't at all a how-to book, it's more of a reference tome, really truly a capital E Encyclopedia. A visual history of the evolution of quilt blocks. It's very fun to look at how and see how Brackman organizes all the blocks. I enjooyed watching this video of Brackman describing the why and the how of her long-term endeavor that resulted in the Encyclopedia.

Now to figure out how to hook up Block Base to my EQ8, so I can get designing.

No comments: