Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Seasick Quilting

 

Well, I learned something new yesterday. It's possible to get seasick right in your own home! I was concentrating on machine quilting the Lone Round Robin and it was an unusually windy day, a very steady wind was blowing. I'm quilting along and all of a sudden I got that awful sudden swooping feeling in my stomach that usually means either an earthquake or the onset of vertigo. Neither of those was happening. It was the constant movement of the palm and redwood trees in the window that was visible in my peripheral vision. I think it was made worse because it was blurry as my glasses don't wrap around and correct my vision. So the quilt was moving, and the needle, and my hands and also the world outside my window. It was too much for my brain I guess. 

Seriously, I stopped quilting and started looking up the earthquake tracker and considering going and laying down until the vertigo passed. Thankfully the seasick feeling went away quickly and I got back to quilting. Guess I'll have to try to remember to close at least that curtain in my studio on windy days. Luckily windy days aren't super regular around here.

I've gotten a lot done on the grey quilting.
The big polka dot fabric corners were fun to do and I like how the swoopy lines worked out.
You can really tell which bits are quilted and which are not.
I had to pin it up on the design wall to check that the quilting isn't adding "too much" to this already busy quilt.
A detail of one of the squares. I came up with this design on the fly and I really like it.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Love the grey quilting. It looks like a modern, free version of a stencil I recall liking back in the Dark Ages.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

A stencil...I had to think about it for a second before remembering how that would be used. Dark Ages indeed1