Wednesday, March 17, 2021

A Texture-y Pillow Idea

 I've recently been thinking about long textured fabrics, like deeper than deep shag and how cool they look as pillows. Think Wookie length fur, but not an even allover density like fur on an actual animal (or Wookie). But even more chunkier than fur or hair I guess. (that's an amazon link to those furry pillows so please Note: "As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.")

I think something closer than faux fur (which I have sworn off ever ever sewing again after one too many furry Halloween costumes) would be small strips of fabric. The idea I'm coming around to is to use up a bunch of my scraps to make such a piece of fabric and use it as a pillow cover. A very very heavy pillow cover. I will be using a piece of canvas to stitch this onto to support the weight. But how?

Here's my plan, I'm going to go through my boxes (and boxes and boxes) of scraps, find pieces that are big enough to fit on this Sizzix tassel cutting die. I'll cut zillions of them (note, that's an estimate). Here's what the tassel looks like when made out of two layers of card stock.

 I'll layer the tassel cut out pieces, but flat, not rolled up like the above for an actual tassel. That way I can sew each row along the top part of the cutout tassel shape and it won't be too bulky to sew over. 

Maybe on the edges of the pillow I'll make actual tassels that hang off, that would be added after making a pillow cover. I could see stitching them on with embroidery floss with a chain stitch. 

I'm thinking that having a lot of fabric pieces that aren't dyed all the way through and only printed mainly on one side leaving the other mostly white will change the look of this quite a lot. I'll try to sprinkle those around or at least alternate them with hand-dyed or batik type fabrics.

My goal is cutting all this out of scraps, because I'm absolutely drowning in them here. And I solemnly swear that the bits that are trimmed off when using the Sizzix die will go into an empty pet bed and not back into the scrap box.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

What a fun idea!!! Here is a pet bed pattern: https://artquiltmaker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Simplified-Cat-Bed-Tute.pdf

Just trying to help out. ;-)

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Yes, I'm making one of those to throw all the non-usable scraps into. Thanks for the .pdf