Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Wandering Wednesday: Palo Alto

 I spent Thursday through Saturday in Palo Alto for a mostly CQFA retreat that friend Jaye organized. It had originally been scheduled as a class with Rosalie Dace, but unfortunately she'd encountered Visa problems entering the US and wasn't able to be there. Instead we gathered for an impromptu and unstructured retreat instead, which was fabulous.

This picture was taken of the almost full moon across a parking lot full of lights. I thought it made a nice contrast.
 Antonio's Nut House is still there (with their original sign), after all these years. We didn't go there for dinner, but I took this picture to send to my husband. Way back when we worked at Lockheed in Palo Alto in the mid 80's, this was one of the lunch places we used to go.
 This is the only picture I took in the retreat space, but I thought the shadows and colors of this were very beautiful. Adding to my shadows quilt design folder...

The church activity room we were sewing in was unfortunately un-air-conditioned which was pretty rough going, on the first day, On Friday, it was 92F almost the whole time. Yikes. Let's just say, I was very salty by the end of the day, and at one point I had to switch over to hand-sewing as my machine was getting hot to the touch from being in use in the heat.
The next morning found me at CVS in search of some fans to buy and bring to save us from the heat. At first I only found heaters and I was worried they'd already switched over the seasons, all the Halloween stuff is on display already of course. But then, stuck way on the top of another shelf, there were three fans. I bought two of them and it made it much nicer to sew on Saturday, *only* 83F, which is doable if you have a fan blowing air on you.

Besides all the issues I had with the heat, it was a such a great space to sew in, and I can see why Bay Area Modern likes to meet there for their monthly sew days. We had a lot of room, and it was great to have access to a kitchen. I always forget in-between retreats, but it is wonderful to get know some  people better and to just all be together while we worked on our projects.

I got a whole lot done, and I'll be photographing stuff to show my finishes for my quarter three finish-a-long list.

No comments: