Monday, September 23, 2019

Kaffe Fassett Lecture

 Yesterday I got the chance to see a lecture by Kaffe Fassett, it was hosted by Golden State Quilting and held at my alma mater, Saratoga High School. What a trip that was as I hadn't been back there in years, and I was very happy to see the beautiful new performing arts center on the school campus.

In the lobby as we checked in, there were several  quilts made with Kaffe's fabrics and/or from his books, including this one which is a free quilt pattern: Kaffetastic Rainbow Star.
 This is the second time I've gotten to see Kaffe's lecture about Colour and even though it was the same subject I learned a lot. He spoke about going to art school and encountering a color wheel for the first time, "I knew that was the work of the devil!" That got quite a laugh, because the color wheel can be quite challenging, no doubt.


 I splurged and bought the lecture ticket and book. Kaffe's newest work is an entire book of medallion quilts! Photographed in a garden that's on my To Visit Someday list, Hidcote Manor gardens in Gloucestershire, England. It was fun to hear him speak about how they go about looking for places to photograph these sumptuous books. He talked about how grey it is in England, grey skies, fog, old stones, etc. and then there are these fabulous gardens just bursting with colour. To him that combination makes up the color palette of the country.
There was a little drawing and surprise! I won a bundle of three fabrics from Free Spirit.

I think this was the favorite quote I wrote down:

"Stop thinking, and start using your heart to create." 

No comments: