Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Finished SJSA Block


I finished the embroidery on the Social Justice Sewing Academy  quilt block I've been working on. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Such a powerful and challenging piece, isn't it?

I listened to a few podcasts as I stitched that had to do with this very subject. I highly recommend both of them:
Bundyville season 2 (It's also a long-form written story)
White Lies an NPR podcast about the 1965 murder of Rev. James Reeb in Selma Alabama


 There was some paper and glue right there under the WH in WHITE that I thought looked strange and visually took away from the message. These fabric letters are glued down with fabric glue and it stays wet for a while, so I'm guessing it picked up the paper inadvertently. So I took it out, and I really hope that's okay.

 Some close up pictures of the stitching.

This is how you see it as you're stitching, close up and personal.
 I thought the back was very stark and interesting looking.
 So I'm not the best at keeping it neat and tidy on the back of a piece, no surprise there, but I don't think it affects the functionality of the quilt block.
Looks like a strange alphabet.

No comments: