Monday, August 06, 2018

Word for Word Class

 I was lucky enough to get into Rosalie Dace's three-day "Word For Word" class at the Sisters Quilt Show. I've always enjoyed seeing her quilts at shows like PIQF and was excited to get to learn from her. She turned out to be a very excellent teacher, inspiring, informative and organized.
Our first exercise was to cut out a letter from very nice thick black paper that she brought with her all the way from South Africa. I chose a kind of curvy letter Z, with the cross like my family taught me to do. (boy did I ever get in trouble for that in school!)

Then we were instructed to deconstruct the letter and find an interesting design(s).

 And also to play with the background pieces that weren't part of the letter.
And then we were asked to do a final design incorporating all the pieces. This was up on my design wall. It reminded me quite a lot of the research we did for the Notan class. This was a great warm-up for me, and I was ready to make a quilt out of this design, but nope...there was a lot more to come...

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I didn't do this exercise. I already had a design in my head and just ran with it. I like seeing what you came up with.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

That's right, you were right onto your design that morning. You should try it as an exercise though, it's pretty cool.