Thursday, August 16, 2018

Three Done


Here are the three blocks all together right before I sent them back to Social Justice Sewing Academy
 This one had a Lot Of Glue to hand stitch through which was a bit hard, but it was necessary for those skinny fingers. I started with this block because it was the most immediately galvanizing and moving.
 I used different thread colors for each word to emphasize the "good word" of EDUCATE. I like how much character and energy the individual letters have when free-hand cut like they are. Slight imperfections are sometimes preferable to precision and perfection.

 I'm not exactly sure what this one is about, maybe the size and color difference in the badges is meaningful? Or maybe it just refers to the recent issues surrounding the police in Baltimore .

 I went through several needle threaders until I found one that really worked well (ie didn't break) with the embroidery thread and needle I was using.
I did so much of the stitching while on trips, but I finished the last one out on my deck.
I hope I get to see more of the SJSA quilts on display, maybe even with one of these blocks. They are profoundly impactful when you see them in person. A very worthwhile project I feel very lucky to have had the chance to participate in.

No comments: