Friday, August 17, 2018

Skinny Strips

One of my favorite things about occasionally taking quilt classes is the opportunity to have techniques I've always wondered about explained clearly and demonstrated. And then getting to then try the technique out myself to make sure I understood the instructions. That's what works for me, I guess I'm a visual and kinetic learner.

In the Rosalie Dace class I was lucky enough to be in she shared one of her signature techniques that she calls: Skinny Strips. I won't go into the details here (go take one of her classes!), but here's the first one I finished in class that I'm very thrilled with. I'll definitely be using this technique in some future quilts. I just measured and the skinniest bit is about 1/32" wide, so in a quilt it'll look something like a quick pen stroke would in a drawing. And using a bright contrasting color like this orange against the blue/green changes how much impact the small bit of color has on the overall quilt design.

No comments: