Saturday, December 03, 2022

Into the Rainbow

 
Here's how the first block from the first Color Collective rainbow selection ended up going together. It was  honestly quite hard to pick the two colors to begin with.

I was supposed to "plan ahead" to cut the pieces out of the fabrics and have enough to go around. I know, weird concept right? But I only got this far on the coloring sheet. I guess that the blank spots will be 🤷🤷🤷who-knows-winging-it.

This was the first time I've tried the glue stick, flip and sew version of paper piecing. At first I was a little irked at having to pre-fold all the lines. But then the process went really really quickly and I'm so totally onboard with this technique. Sewing right next to the folded line worked well for me and I didn't get the pieces flipped around the wrong way even once, which for me was kind of amazing.

The first of four sections, each one is slightly different from the other three.
The instructions were to write on the interior corners with a sharpie the number of the section. This was to be able to keep track of which section was which once the papers were unglued. Wow, was that ever nice just to pull it off in one re-usable piece. I like this new-to-me version of paper piecing. But, oh my goodness, writing on quilting cotton with a sharpie was unbelievably hard. It gets cut off of course, but still, approaching the sewn together section with a Sharpie was a breath-holding moment.
And there's how it looks, pretty cool, huh? I am Very Happy with the color choices that I made. It's going to look good with more blocks.

As per usual, my least favorite part of paper-piecing, the sort of wasteful feeling with all the scraps.

No comments: