Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Wandering Wednesday - Bay Quilts

It had been a longlonglong time since friend Jaye and I got to go hang out and visit a quilt shop. We decided to journey over to the East Bay and check out Bay Quilts. As we entered the shop, they asked if we were vaccinated and took our names and phone numbers down too, just in case they had to do contact tracing (great idea!!) and then offered us hand sanitizer. We wore masks and were just happy to be in a quilt shop that had survived the last year and a half of retail weirdness and challenge. 

And as a bonus, I was so happy to see a display of some of the SJSA quilts on their walls.

And what a nice surprise, one of the quilts happened to have one of the blocks I did the embroidery work on. First time I've seen one out in the wild.

I really love the look and energy of this raw edge embroidery/quilting.
These quilts always make me think and feel, they're so expressive and thoughtful.
Bay Quilts was great to visit, it was only the second time I'd been in person although I've ordered online. They had their fabrics arranged so differently than what I'm used to, gathered together and displayed by individual fabric line/designer instead of just by colors. It made a lot of sense but if I'd just been looking for a certain color range, it wouldn't have worked too well. They have a really awesome selection of fabrics.

We had a little snack in Berkeley and then headed back over the Bay Bridge. What a great treat to get to hang out with Jaye in person and get out and about too. Almost like we were back to the "before times".
 

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I had a great time with you, too. We should have showed each other our fabric after the purchased. I didn't realize you bought that map fabric. What a great idea to stitch your path as you drive.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

We should have! There was a lot going on in that store, so much to see, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice the map fabric.