Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Kitchen Sink Process

This was my first selection of "orphan blocks" for the Kitchen Sink Quilting class. Pretty varied, probably too varied.

I narrowed it down a little, and this is the picture I sent in to our teacher, Maria Shell.
During the class, I worked on some possible combinations with the background solids I'd cut.
I tried a lot of combinations, but got too wedded to some of the solids placements. Especially the part on the lower right. I did like how the 3-d cube was floating on these blue/greens, but I decided that I love that block TOO much to throw in with a bunch of other stuff, I want to make something just for it.
I took out the background solids 

And then I added back in some of the bright crazy pieced blocks.
This is how it looks at the moment, I've added in some other orphans I hadn't tried yet on the left side. And I took out the crazy pieced blocks, they are just "too much" for the rest of the blocks. Too busy, too colorful, too much.



 

3 comments:

Jaye said...

It's definitely a process. I hope some of the other BAMers learned to work through the process rather than just using patterns.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It seemed like some of them did, but there were a couple who were still struggling with the concept. Definitely a new skill to learn.

Jaye said...

You had done this type of thing before, right?