Monday, October 29, 2007

1964, What a year!




Nostalgia for the year I was born, 1964. Here I am doing this meme that DebR found, where one looks up the year you were born on googleimages.Looking for patterns in what I choose, places to go: It's a small world advert from Disneyland. And a picture from the world's fair in new york

Trying to find some sort of pattern here, in the images I am drawn to from my birth year. A lot of them are iconic pieces of art, such as Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. Some are of useful things, no longer useful, such as the slide rule. Others show disasters that occured that year, such as the Alaska earthquake. Geez I am such a disastermonger!


Then there are the vehicles! A car crazy era it was. And I grew up with a fine appreciation of those vehicles. One of which I owned (actually it was a '61), two of which I sure wouldn't mind owning right now, thankyouverymuch.





Finally A Menu, with the hyper bright stylized food imagery we all remember from that era.

I was thinking there would be more stuff about space, rockets, etc., but nope. Mostly it was just Beatles-mania Well, that was fun to travel back to a year where I wasn't really visually conscious yet ,and have only been able to visit through images, whether on the tv, old magazines, or now the power of google.

2 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

Now I really feel like Methuselah! That was the first year my parents trusted me to take the train into the CITY alone and I went to the 1964 Worlds Fair every time my babysitting money added up to train fare! I must have been a hundred times that summer. To beat paying admittance I would "adopt" a family in the parking lot outside the gate. Looking back it was amazing that so many nice folks were willing to help get me in for free - little did they know this teenager was learning to hustle Japanese sailors into buying beer in the Israeli beer garden where they never check ID!

Deb R said...

I'm glad you did this one, Julie! It's interesting to me that the images you found were in many ways so similar to the ones I found for two years earlier, yet subtly different. Cool!