Thursday, October 18, 2007

In The Raw

Scraps, just scraps.
I've got a big stack of plastic tubs filled with my scraps. The bits and pieces of quilt production. It is like a memory or scrapbook digging through these scraps. I can remember what project each teeny tiny piece of fabric is from. I can almost remember what music I was listening to when I made it also. Is that strange? Perhaps. Just like I can remember who gave us each and every wedding gift (from 17 years ago!). I can't remember why I just walked upstairs though. hmmm. Would I trade one type of memory prowess for the other?

Anyways these four smallish assemblages were put together during the nail-biting fourth quarter of the Cal football game last Saturday. I couldn't stop pacing, my stomach was roiling, and since it was only available to me on the radio, I decided I could at least make something while I fretted over the game. Turns out that these quilts are the best thing to come out of that time as Cal lost quite tragically and spectacularly. Oh well, onto next week, right?!


They haven't been quilted or trimmed or anything yet, but I thought it was worth showing you what this step in the process looks like. These scraps took up about 1/3 of a shoe box sized plastic tub. My goal is to not have to use any more bins to keep scraps, I've run out of room for scrap storage, and the way for me to use 'em up is to make stuff like this! Unless anyone has any other suggestions that is....

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

I started pawing through the flibertygibbets last night doing the same thing.Just nail them together without a lot thinking. Make big ones out of little one until it's big enough for.....