Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Hexie Time

EEeeeepp, so I'm actually doing some EPP while I'm laying about and recovering.

I found a very nice set of free templates for hexagons and printed them out on card stock.

I had done my initial stab at trying out some hexies way back in 2016 with a little kit I picked up at QuiltCon, and they were 3/4". 
To try and add to this existing flower, I printed out the 1"hexie template that I had just downloaded at 75% scaling and it worked out perfectly. I just had to hand-write on each one 3/4" so that I don't get them mixed up.

I also bought myself a set of literally the only EPP papers that they had at my LQS the day before my surgery. These have a lightweight fusible on one side, and are made out of 50% water soluble material and 50% stabilizer. This means that they are intended to stay in after you've stitched the hexies together. These are 1", so they will not fit in with the 3/4" ones I began experimenting with (I guess?) unless there are some shapes that could go in-between? But I really do like the idea of the fusible, a pretty innovative idea. The instructions are pretty clear, so I'll give these a go just to try them out. They also sell sheets of the appliqué paper that they're cut from, which could be cut in a Cricut to custom shapes and sizes....

I was going to try out these 1" fusible hexie "papers" with the hexie fabric that was included in the Best Besties Box as well as doing some fussy cutting of motifs and then some of the solids too. It seemed like too good of a coinky-dink to ignore. 

But then I discovered that the hexie print is exactly 3/4", so I switched plans.
I found my Sewline glue pen and got to work after fussy cutting out some of the hexies.
Pretty nice!
It went pretty fast getting these 11 hexies cut and glued.
They're very fun to play around with. I can see why people find them sort of addictive.
Definitely a lot of fun. And I haven't even started stitching yet.
I don't think the new hexies play all that well with the original flower, but nothing says these all have to end up in a quilt or project together. For now I'm just having fun playing with them.


No comments: