Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Wandering Wednesday: The Top of Pothole Dome


Finally, we wandered somewhere, back to our favorite place to camp, Yosemite. On one of the days we journeyed up to the high country to visit Tuolumne Meadows. There was a hike that I had always wanted to do, one of the smaller granite domes, Pothole Dome, as seen here from the trail. Years ago, the last time we went camping in Yosemite with our kids, they all climbed up the dome and I sat in the car. This was before I'd gotten my meds right, and I frequently ran out of any and all energy. I sat there and enjoyed watching my family scamper up, and enjoyed the nice mountain breeze from my seat in the car, but I was really sad that I couldn't participate. 

But this time, I had the oomph to try it. The giant meadow was very very wet for this late in September, which is good. Making up for all those dry years.

Once you get to the granite dome, the trail peters out and you're on your own getting up onto the rock. It's not hard, there are plenty of not too steep approaches to choose from. We followed one of the bigger fissures. Note, the sky is really really *that* blue. No adjustments or edits were made to these photos.
It seems kind of endless, you can't see the top for quite a while. I love those separate boulders that get left behind when all the glacial action is over and the ice has melted. 
Another fellow hiker offered to take our picture, how nice to get one that isn't an awkward couple selfie. 

Well, not too awkward I guess. The peak to the right of me is Cathedral, we did a several night backpacking trip up there and over Cloud's Rest to the top of Half Dome in the late 80's (ie very long ago!). I really could not make that trip now, so I'm super glad to have done it when I was able to. But this time, I was able to make it up to the top of this dome. It's all worthwhile to do, even just going up to Tuolumne there if you don't hike at all, just to see this with your own eyes is a tremendous privilege that I really treasure.


No comments: