Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Sizing It Up


I've been working on using my CriCut to cut out the fabric pieces for a SewSweetness Cotton Candy pouch. Mostly because friend Jaye asked me to because she was curious to see how it worked. I was curious too, and am trying to learn more about this fancy and useful gizmo.
 
It was very easy to import the .SVG file into the maker space canvas in CriCut, but unfortunately, it didn't translate to the intended size. Look at how cute and teeny this is?!? 
In addition to the size issue, it was automatically cutting out all of the letters involved in spelling out: 
1 " s q u a r e .  That's what those little bits to the right of the square are.


Taking out the latter was very easy, but getting the main part of the pattern resized correctly was harder. At first I tried eyeballing the 1" square to the gridlines in the maker space program, and it got pretty close, but still wasn't exactly right. And that would mean the pieces wouldn't quite fit together, which would honestly be accomplished by me cutting it all out manually!

I hunted around online and thankfully came across a helpful article that explained what to do to solve this problem. I downloaded a free vector program called Inkscape, opened the files and noted down the actual size by the original pattern maker (in this case, SewSweetness). Then back in the CriCut maker space, after importing the file and selecting all, I typed in those numbers into the sizing box, and voila' instantly adjusted to the correct size.

Now to cut out an entire set and see if it goes together correctly or not!

1 comment:

Jaye said...

So you just needed Inkscape to check the sizes? You didn't have to adjust the pattern at all ?