Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Halfway Through

Way back at the start of this year, I found this great calendar over at nerd-bucket. I don't remember who pointed me towards it, but I've been using it to track daily exercise. Every day that I exercise in some way, I get to color in the daily section. According to my own set of rules, I get to do this whether it's a full-on gym workout (only in January & February unfortunately since the gym has been closed down) or walking the dog or anything in between. As an aside, our gym has recently re-opened just this month, and I miss going to it so very much, but I just can't risk it. Also I can't imagine trying to workout while wearing a mask.

I've been feeling stronger and better physically lately, and I can look at this single piece of paper and instantly see why. Somehow it is more motivating than all the info on my FitBit. It's easy to get quite down on myself about the day to day, month to month variations of how much energy I do or do not have. But now that I can see in a concrete visual format that I have indeed been more consistent with getting some exercise nearly daily--and I do feel better, it encourages me to keep moving. And that was the point all along, hurray for something actually working! 

This feels huge for some reason, which is why I'm writing it down here. I look at those few days not colored in over the last three months and feel proud that they are so few and am motivated to have even fewer in this month. 

1 comment:

Jaye said...

WOW! What a great idea! I love this, especially the reward of art part. I think one can also tell how one's mental state was. March was so fraught and that shows in your chart. I did Pilates this morning instead of going for a walk (resting my poor foot) and wow! did I sweat. I like the change.