Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wandering Wednesday - Remembering Hong Kong

I've been thinking about Hong Kong a whole lot lately, because of the recent events taking place there.

China just decided to change the rules on keeping Hong Kong a separate thing. The whole One Country Two Systems thing that was implemented when the UK gave up their control in 1997 is suddenly over.

The Chinese had promised Hong Kong that they would be autonomous until 2047. And now suddenly they're just...not.

And the people are back in the streets protesting again (with their masks on) and who knows what will happen.

I'm worried for all of them and I have almost no hope that they will prevail.

It seems as there is no entity that can really tell China to cut it out.
 I wish they could all sit down and have a cup of milk tea and work it out.

 But that's not realistic of course.

 There's so much money at stake, it's almost hard to conceive of how much.


 As well as not wanting to be seen as losing, or being soft, China cannot give in now.
 This huge population is suddenly living in such uncertainty.
 I truly hope that something can stop this from proceeding.
I have a feeling that I'm now going to look back on these pictures of street scenes in Hong Kong as The Before.

1 comment: