Thursday, May 07, 2020

A Small Part of 25,000,000

 Well, the deadline finally arrived so I had to stop stitching on my 25,000,000 piece. There is going to be an online exhibit and then once the museums and venues reopen, then there will be real world exhibits. I really look forward to getting to see both types of exhibits. So, this is how my final piece looks, note it is an inside picture. It is an off-white fabric, so this is more accurate than the outside pictures I took.

And here it is outside, a little hard to photograph in the bright sunlight, kind of washed out, it is not this white. So I took a bunch of pictures both inside and out.
 I'll admit that I'm kind of obsessed with how this part turned out.
 So every stitch is meant to represent one refugee. I made trails and tracks of the pathways the refugees travel to find safety. Sometimes there are large groupings. The X's do not represent deaths,  my intention was to represent pauses or stops in the journeys.








 I really like this many pathways crossing one.






2 comments:

Jaye said...

Your piece is gorgeous! I wondered if you would stop and am glad you sent it in. The texture is wonderful.

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It was super hard to stop stitching on it, but it was due and I wanted it to be included if they ever get to exhibit it. When I looked at it as a whole, I was very pleased with how it turned out.