Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Wandering Wednesday - Inchmahome Priory

 I was thinking about fonts that I'd seen in stone the other day, and it got me thinking about some that I'd noticed when we were in Scotland a few years ago. These pictures are all from a little island in the Lake of Menteith (the only Lake as opposed to Loch in Scotland) called Inchmahome Priory. It was one of my favorite things we did on that trip, it was just lovely out there, quiet, warm and beautiful.
 Is that not the most beautiful G you've ever seen, that perfect curve, and done in stone no less!

 I wish I could read this, but I enjoyed the almost kawaii level of cute skull and crossbones.
Some of the grave slabs had celtic knots.

This one was really striking and clear.

 This face is rather haunting too, isn't it?
It's all a ruin now, but it's somehow gorgeous in its ruin. I'm glad that Scotland keeps it open for tourists to get the chance to visit.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Beautiful. You captured something wonderful in the last photo of the chapel. I love it. I also love the G. It is a great looking font!

High Fiber Content said...

I keep meaning to look up old fonts and see if I can find that G and the rest of the alphabet that goes with it. That chapel was one of the most beautiful religious buildings I've ever gotten to see, it was really special.