Monday, June 17, 2019

Rhubarb Day


Got to harvest my rhubarb crop yesterday. All in honor's of Father's Day.
 I didn't realize until I took this picture how pink one of our cutting boards really is, wow.

Here's the Father's Day connection, I made this recipe, for Rhubarb-Almond Coffee Cake (no coffee involved, just the type of cake). Oh boy was it ever good. I used more sliced almonds than called for, and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. 

The two fathers involved loved it, (my dad and DH) and since I cooked it in pie plates instead of cake pans, they were almost fooled into believing it was a pie. A long going argument in our family, I will always choose cake over pie, and thus that's what I like to make. Everyone else is the reverse case, but I almost fooled them this time.
So the leaves to the rhubarb are amazing and huge. I had to take a picture of them.
 Surely there must be something you can do with them, (don't eat them, very poisonous). According to this, you can polish stainless steel pots, and make a natural pesticide.


2 comments:

Jaye said...

I love that photo of the rhubarb. I might have to get a copy and frame it. It is soooo amazingly gorgeous. Perhaps a public figure we know might like the leaves?

High Fiber Content said...

I can send you a copy of the picture. I was happy to have a cutting board that suited the rhubarb so perfectly. The cake would probably translate pretty easily into a gluten-free version too.