At first I was stumped on how to do black only! Then I started pulling different types of fabric that I had around that were black. I ended up using the scraps from making my husband's Snidely Whiplash cape, which were a shiny satin and a matte crepe. Those worked pretty well together.
I sewed them on dimensionally, folding in half, sewing down and attaching only one side to create the illusion of feathers. I also couched on top a black ribbon yarn.
Then there was the beading. I used a lot of my black bead stash, and then the background looked a bit bare. So I began stitching on some red or gold beads that went with the painted base fabric. To make the jump between beads I started sewing x's, and I really like how it looks, it pulls together the raven wing and the background. Plus the nymo beading thread is shiny and pretty.