Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Resolution #5


Well, here we are in the fifth week of January. Has this month gone quickly for you? It sure has for me. Lots going on, getting this year going.

I keep thinking about how many more years I have left with my kids living here at home. And the time is dwindling fast. They are now 13 and 11.5. The end of childhood really. I'm getting wistful when I see mothers with little ones. Not baby-lust wistful, just wishing I could re-experience that lovely, harrowing time. I miss those babies of mine, but I love my big boys-almost-men even more. Seeing the world through their eyes, experiencing growing up with another, is a really precious gift. One that I've been privileged and lucky to be here for day by cumulative day. But it does get exhausting sometimes, well really a lot of times, to be present, to interact, to listen, to teach, to direct, to organize, etc.
So my fifth resolution that I'm illustrating for Self Portrait Challenge is to: Be Here Now. This is the choice of the present moment.
Picture taken by Alex, while we were riding in the back seat of the car. I let Zach ride in the front seat occasionally (after all he is now taller than me!). Then Alex and I get to be silly together in the back seat which I enjoy enormously of course. And Be Here Now is of course also a well-known book title by Ram Dass, as well as a title of an Oasis cd.

2 comments:

turquoise cro said...

Yes! Julie! A GREAT resoulution(my new word, now I can't type it any other way)THESE ARE THE DAYS MY FRIEND!!!!I THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END!(the song goes those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end) but they do end and it goes all too fast so enJOY these days and be LIVING and LOVING in them! BE HERE NOW! yes! I LOVE your post today Julie! xo, Cinda ps. gonna have some tea in my Julie mug in a sec, you should seeeeee all the snow today!!!

Vedrana M. said...

that is really great resolution, i wish you wonderful moments with your family :)