Friday, July 19, 2019

Jacket Reparo

(Yes, the title of this post is a Harry Potter spell reference.)

I had my mother's sweatshirt jacket on my to-do pile. The central motif on the back had deteriorated and she had given me a handkerchief she bought in Australia. The colors matched perfectly and the batik patterns match up pretty well too.

Since the remains of the kitchen towel motif she'd chosen originally had come apart it was a little lumpy. To take care of that uneven surface and to stabilize the kind of insubstantial compared to batik fabrics handkerchief I used some steam-a-seam on the back of it. This seemed to help, it didn't make it too stiff, and after applying I stitched it down with a matching thread to blend it in. It looks a bit newer than the batiks, but I think overall it works pretty well.

I gave it back to my mom yesterday for her birthday, and she was very pleased. A bit of a re-gift I guess, but she was very happy with how it turned out.

No comments: