Friday, May 03, 2019

Sister Artists


I'm lucky enough to get the chance to participate in a joint project being run by Quilt for Change and The Advocacy Project -- Sister Artists.  Way back in 2009, I made a quilt for a project that Quilt for Change was doing with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.  So I was still on their list of quilters, and when I heard about it, I thought this joint project sounded very interesting and worthwhile to contribute my efforts to.

The above is the embroidered cotton piece that I get to turn into an art quilt. I have all kinds of ideas to sketch out, but I first wanted to show off the details of this beautiful starting point. I don't know the woman who did the embroidery, but I'm going to try my best to learn about the place she is from (Mali), and what she has been through (gender-based violence is all I know).

There were a lot of embroidered blocks to choose from, and I was happy to get my first choice "Huts". This one is embroidered right up to the edge of the fabric so it'll be a bit tricky to figure out how to use it.

There are three groupings of huts on the block, and I believe I will cut them apart to feature them. But I have to check with the rules to make sure I can do that.

Aren't these well done? I love the use of the variegated embroidery threads.

I hope that if you're interested you'll go check the project out and get involved as well.

No comments: