Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Wandering Wednesday: Lake of Grass

 One of the best things about our trip to Oregon last month was getting to drive on several highways I've never been on before. It's just cool to get off the "usual" route somewhere and take a different approach to getting there.
We were struck by the beauty of these vast tracts of grassland just outside of Weed.  There were signs for Grass Lake which turned out to be an actual lake. But before we saw the water there was this beautiful lake of grass. I was taking these pictures as we were driving in our convertible with the top down, driving along highway 97 aka Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway.

 Reminder to self: I want to make a quilt out of this picture.
 I'd never seen the "other side" of Mt. Shasta.

 I liked how all the contrails looked as if they were coming out of the top of Mt. Shasta. That led to several sci-fi movie plots being created about alien spaceships a'la Stargate.
 We want to come back and explore Lava Beds National Monument on another trip when it isn't over 90F.

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Fall is a good time to travel. I see a trip to Portland in our future....

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

It's my favorite time of year, and getting to travel too is great. Portland Ho!