Monday, July 13, 2009

Happiness To Be Dissolved

Here's another board book from the round robin I've been participating in. This one came with a three-ring loose-leaf of chipboard/cardboard/tag board, oh let's just say VERY stiff pages that one could remove and work on. Very easy to handle when painting, though not really an altered book, but still fun to work in.
These photos make the background look really really fuchsia pink, but they were much more orange-y in person. After painting several acrylics on (took a lot of paint, this chipboard stuff really soaks up the paint like a sponge.) I waited for them to dry, then I stamped with a cloud stamp in orange to give more texture to the colored background.
We were supposed to include quotes that we liked, so I found one that I'd saved from an old Oprah magazine, along with that orange/yellow graphic on the right. That formed a pocket above which the words read: Happiness Is A Warm... And I also found a vintage-y looking sticker in the same colors.

The quote is from Willa Cather "That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great." There are cancelled stamps of animals and lava, and a photo of a fractal image. More cloud stamps in orange and the red CONFIDENTIAL stamp that I have.

The words above the pocket for the tags reads: Happiness Is A Warm....So the tags answer that with BLANKET, SUMMER DAY and CUP OF TEA. I found three different orange ribbons to tie on the tags.
The back of the tags have a cancelled stamp with a blanket or rug, a summery piece of fabric, and stamped image of a cup colored in with colored pencils.. Yes I know Java is coffee and it says TEA on the other side. Turns out I don't have a teacup stamp, oh well, I liked how it looks, and one warm beverage is as good as another. And I also stamped over the tags with a stamp that says "Take Note" in a circle.

I just finished another board book from this project that I'll share soon here. And I have one more to work on, then that is it for this collaborative project. After working in a few of these books, I find that I like working in board books for some reasons, not so much worry about the background paper buckling, small compact size, but that they are harder sometimes to handle to keep them open as you're working, to not break the binding as you pin them down flat. Also, I guess when I do work in an altered book, I like to be inspired by the actual book, either the title, the text, or illustrations. And that really isn't appropriate or possible (several of the books have been completely gessoed) here.

2 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

These are all so cool--love the colors and combination of items. I think it would be fun to try something like this....when I'm caught up, when I am--like--100 years old.......
Great work!

Jaye said...

I love the colors - of course! Thanks so much for sharing!