Monday, September 01, 2008

Omnivore One Hundred

I can't resist this meme that I got from DebR, and she got it from: A Daily Dose of Zen, .Here’s the rules:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at A Very Good Taste linking to your results.

5) Deb’s addition: italicize the ones you aren’t sure about

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison-I'm always joking about hunting the deer on our land, our friends' dad did on theirs, and made some very tasty venison sausage out of the marauders.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros best hangover breakfast ever!
4. Steak tartare - Not a favorite, but served with the right sauces it is pretty good.
5. Crocodile - I’ve eaten alligator, but not crocodile
6. black pudding
7. Cheese fondue- in Switzerland even!
8. Carp -I would try it, but I've never seen this in the store to buy, or on a menu, wonder if it is good?
9. Borscht - good stuff, and such a beautiful color.
10. Baba ghanoush-oh gosh yes! I make this a lot too! Looks disgusting, but tastes heavenly.
11. Calamari - I especially love it "steak" form, sometimes the tentacles are too ooky.
12. Pho - yum, we have lots of Vietnamese restaurants in San Jose so I've had it many times.
13. PB&J sandwich - of course, what a silly question!
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses -love strong weird cheese!
17. Black truffle - had some on top of Risotto at a fancy San Francisco restaurant, very good.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - berry, or pear from Bonny Doon vineyard, only a little bit at a time though as it is very sweet. Good for dessert.
19. Steamed pork buns - Assuming they mean the dim sum kind.
20. Pistachio ice cream-a great color, but I like green tea ice cream better though.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - most have such great flavor and/or color, but some of them aren't all that great.
22. Fresh wild berries-sure, we can pick them in our yard, just have to fight the deer off for them!
23. Foie gras - I'd say this is the only way I'll eat liver.
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese - once by accident, never again!
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - soooo spicy, good taste too.
27. Dulce de leche-makes a great cheesecake.
28. Oysters - love them cooked, and raw
29. Baklava-bleah, too much honey for me.
30. Bagna cauda - really good with sourdough bread.
31. Wasabi peas-one of my favorite snacks!
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - I love this combination, so fun to eat the bowl after it has soaked up all the yummy soup. You can get this at the Santa Cruz wharf.
33. Salted lassi - Really good with spicy Indian food.
34. Sauerkraut - I keep trying it, because I usually like pickled stuff, but it seems cabbage + vinegar is not a good taste for me.
35. Root beer float - the best!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar-I've had both, but not at the same time...
37. Clotted cream tea-sounds disgusting, but it is heavenly and decadent.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - a painless way to get very drunk, very fast.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat -
42. Whole insects - chocolate covered crickets, not something I'll seek out to eat again.
43. Phaal - this was a bit too spicy for me.
44. Goat’s milk - I guess I had this a lot as a baby as cow's milk didn't agree with me. We used to get it when the boys were little too. It is pretty good.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - only a sip from my husband's, I really don't care for whisky at all.
46. Fugu-no way, I'm not taking the risk!
47. Chicken tikka masala-just had it for lunch yesterday!
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - don't really like donuts, this kind is too sweet for me (see baklava).
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Not in a very long time as I don't do fast food much any more, I usually would get a 1/4pounder.
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV - sure, why not.
59. Poutine - Never heard of it, sounds really good, I'd try it.
60. Carob chips - yuck, taste like dirt.
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads - yick, tried it to be polite, never again.
63. Kaolin - as part of diarrhea treatment. Guess some women eat it when pg.
64. Currywurst - Never heard of it, sounds good, I would definitely try it.
65. Durian - I would try it, but it doesn't sound too tasty. I've seen them in the market sometimes.
66. Frogs’ legs - Tasted a lot like teeny tiny chicken legs.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake-yes, all but elephant ears.
68. Haggis-no way, no how.
69. Fried plantain - I don't like them, nor fried banana either.
70. Chitterlings or andouillette - oh ick! no way!
71. Gazpacho-I'm making it for dinner tonight!
72. Caviar and blini - one of those have to try once things.
73. Louche absinthe - I could see how one would get addicted to this, very good.
74. Gjetost or brunost -
75. Roadkill - not that I know of.
76. Baijiu - I really disliked it.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - these are the reason I'm so averse to pie now.
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong -
80. Bellini-I can't believe I've never had this, sounds terrific!
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare -
87. Goulash
88. Flowers -
89. Horse - geez, I hope not!
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - We used to have this on backpacking trips, and I thought it was great to see it on the menu at McDonald's in Hawaii.
92. Soft shell crab -
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano -
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor - way too rich, just get the lobster.
98. Polenta - I like making polenta, just don't forget to keep stirring...
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee- didn't see what the big deal was.
100. Snake


Only 13 I haven't tried! Guess I am an omnivore big time.

If you do a list, let me know, I want to read it!

1 comment:

Deb R said...

Wow, I'm impressed with how many you've tried!!!

I think I'd have tried a lot more than I did if I lived someplace where exotic/ethnic food was a bit more readily available, as there were several things on the list I'd be willing to at least taste, but have never even seen.

Glad you played!