Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shadowy Contrasts

For the month of contrast on Self Portrait Challenge, I'm choosing to go into the shadows this week. Examining the contrast between what is really there according to our eyes and what is just a shadow and then what a camera can see.

I was thinking about how I've been feeling lately, "a shadow of my former self" for lots of different reasons . So I took a kinda ordainary shadow picture to illustrate this contrast of how I used to feel about myself vs. how I do now.
I liked how changing this into a black and white view highlights the insubstantial part of my hand holding the camera, but in contrast the rest of me looks much more solid than in the original picture. You can see the road maps right through me.
Feeling even more ghostly and invisible, here I am in the negative view.
I especially like the oval of my glasses and how it indicates where my eyes are.
Guess I'm kinda like Oakland now, at least according to Gertrude Stein: "There is no there, there."

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

Fascinating! I love seeing how this image developed. Your image kind of reminds me of a ghost, I like it!