Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Duplicate Colors

Don't make me explain this too much, but I've gone and made a spreadsheet for the Pantone Project. I like to keep track, that's my excuse. But, my actual reason was to check that the distribution of colors over the total 100 cards would end up being somewhat balanced once we're all done making blocks.

So this great new spreadsheet has obviously got exactly 100 rows (for those 100 postcards). I thought it would be pretty easy, fill out the rows with each card's information, right?


It's got several columns, for color number, color description, card sent, card received, block made by me, block made by Jaye, color group, and duplicate?

Duplicate? Yes, I found that there were three duplicate cards!! They are pictured up above. Turns out that there were two pinks and a red specifically. As you can imagine, this made it take a lot more time than I'd estimated to finish making the spreadsheet.  So, essentially I'm short three new colors. And now I'm wondering if Jaye's box of postcards has the same duplicates or maybe different ones? Or maybe she has those three other colors I was also meant to have? So far the cards I've received from her have also been in my box, so who knows?  

Now I'm really curious about all this, and I'm kind of laughing at the assumption I'd made that the two boxes were identical. Pantone has A Lot of colors of course, so that was kind of a silly assumption. 

The big question is: Does this really affect our Pantone Project overall? No, of course not. But there are choices to be made here. I could send off both of the duplicates and assume Jaye has enough extra red and pinks. Or we could choose new colors to substitute in for the duplicates so that we actually have that even 100? I think that's what I'd like to do. Maybe it'd be a way to nudge that color grouping balance that I was initially checking on by making the spreadsheet. By the way, according to my informal classification, there are 11 Yellow, 7 Orange, 5 Red, 14 Pink, 12 Purple, 14 Blue, 18 Green, 14 Brown, 4 Grey, 1 Black.  Not terribly well balanced. So maybe the three duplicates should be reds?

1 comment:

Jaye said...

OMG! This is so much. I'll have to bring my box and stuff when we get together and compare with you. After a quick look, I don't see duplicates, but it could be that I sent the duplicates to you already.