Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wandering Wednesday: San Mateo County Fair


A couple weekends ago, we made the trek over the hill to the San Mateo County Fair where we met up with some of my Phi Mu sorority sisters, including friend Jaye. I mainly went for the socializing with people I don't get to see often, and to also get to see the BAMQ quilt challenge exhibit. Here it is as seen from far away.
What a terrific showing from our group, eight quilts.
As you can see, I was very surprised to see a blue ribbon pinned on my quilt. This just happens to be my first ever! 
And here's friend Jaye too, with her quilt and ribbon!
I didn't take a lot of pictures of the larger quilt exhibit, but I took this close up of this wonderful quilt made up of the Tilda fabrics I recently bought. I just loved the quilting on the lanterns so much. Sorry for not getting the name of the quilter here.
Friend Jaye and I were looking at this quilt block and trying to remember the name. Isn't it fun? I just love that checkerboard center. And the effective use of "Snowballed" corners on the squares. I need to look this one up in EQ8 and/or Block Base.
We walked around a bit, watched a great local high school's robotics clubs demo robots scooping up foam rings and tossing them in a basket. What fun that would have been in high school to learn robotics. We had some great lunch, there were a ton of choices. We went into the barn with all  the 4-H animal exhibits. There were some great Polish chickens, the ones with the crazy "hair-do's". I really liked this one pig, she was having herself a great dream, kicking out with one of her hooves and ignoring all of us gawkers.
Apparently her name was Trix and she weighed in at 273 pounds.
There were a lot of great exhibits set up, one of which had historical presentations of games, like this Monopoly one. Including the Anti-Monopoly version, Landlords Game and the "Don't Go To Jail!" dice game, ha ha!
Rich Uncle! That's a great play on Monopoly. They had enormous versions of classic games, like Connect Four, including a huge Etch-a-Sketch. My DH tried to turn the knobs, but they just fell off. We unfortunately missed out on the sushi eating contest. (Can you imagine?!)

It was a really fun day out, and I did pretty well with my knee right up until the very end of the day when it suddenly got Very Tired. Thankfully this isn't a super spread-out fairgrounds like ours in Santa Cruz County so our car wasn't too far away.

No comments: